Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Skylanders Cake! (And some Legos and a Pig)


 I started off with Confetti Cake Mix (I got sick of making cake that kids didn't like).  I made two, just in case something happened to one of them. These cake pans were 6 inches.  I also used them as the pedestal to help while decorating.
 I "Sealed the Crumb" by putting a thin layer of icing on the cake and then sticking it in the fridge (if you're in a hurry the freezer will work~ give it about 10-15 minutes).
 I used Wilson's icing dye in Black.  That stuff is inexpensive and lasts a long time!
 I needed the top to stay white, so I stuck a piece of aluminum foil on it.  Yes, I could have used something else, but it was about an hour and a half before the party and I was in a hurry and out of parchment paper.
 The icing went on pretty smoothly.  I didn't want it to be too smooth though.  It needed to have a rocky appearance.  The icing color was a dark gray/purple because I didn't use too much of the dye (just what I wanted).  I then took a butter knife (Ikea kids' utensils are amazing and I use them for everything), dipped it in the dye and drew some lines on the icing to make the brick appearance.
 Glad Press & Seal worked wonders on the bottoms of these REAL Skylanders Figures!  I trimmed it, of course.
 My baby is 7!  I used the cake pan as a pedestal, but used a knife and spatula to place it on a piece of cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil.
It was a surprise AND a hit! He loved it! It was a personal cake. All of the other kids got cupcakes with Legos on them. He wanted Angry Birds, Legos, and Skylanders for his birthday theme this year. Something simple, and because I had soooo many kids this year, I didn't go all out!
 Super easy Lego cupcakes.  I bought the candy from a local store that sells them.  I had about 30 kids running around my house that day, so please don't mind the un-makeup'd face. 
Here, Piggy Piggy Pinata!

After the broke the pig open, they all started chanting, "Destroy the Pig".  And then, "Burn the Pig".  So, we did.  I made all of the kids back up though.  I think the entire neighborhood heard the thirty of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment