Monday, July 2, 2012

Homemade Ice Cream Experiment

The boys and I were at the store one day, thinking of something fun to do.  We decided to make Ice Cream!  I knew how to do it, but I needed the specific ingredients for the actual ice cream.  I used my phone to look it up.  Some sites said to use milk, but I thought that Half & Half would be better.  So, I used the stevespanglerscience.com to get the ice cream ingredients (giving credit where it's due~ there's lots of other fun experiements on there too!)



List of items:
Half & Half
Sugar
Vanilla Extract
Measuring cup/spoons
ICE
Rock Salt (I pulled some from my water softener)
Gallon Size Storage Bag
Quart Size Storage Bag
Gloves (it gets cold)



For the Ice Cream we used this recipe:
1/2 C Half & Half
1Tbs Sugar
1/2tsp Vanilla Extract

We poured these into our Quart Size Bag and closed the bag with as little air as possible left in it.  We didn't want it to explode or leak.

 We filled our Gallon Size Bags half way with chopped ICE from our refridgerator.
We then put in about 5-7 Tbs Rock Salt (I may have lost count).

 Shake It.  Roll It!
The boys were so excited to see snow on the bags!!! 



The whole process took about 8 minutes.


This was his Super Excited Face when he took the Ice Cream Bag out!


They said it was the best Ice Cream EVER, because we made it.
Next time we're going to add some flavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment